Re: [CQ-Contest] Un-hijack "disappointing experience" #2 -- runner not I

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Un-hijack "disappointing experience" #2 -- runner not IDing
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 00:48:58 -0800
On 2/25/2024 2:27 PM, Art Boyars wrote:
If you are a Big Gun and cannot wait 20 or 30 seconds for the new runner to
work the guy he is calling, then go do something else until it's your turn.

What if you're a little gun and need to S&P? What if you're a medium sized station and need to S&P because everyone's running?

I view signing my call when I'm running as advertising, AND protecting my run frequency. All it takes is "TU K9YC" What's so hard about that?

Of course, I don't have the luxury of living close to the Atlantic, where all of EU is calling me.

I'm a "middle gun," with decent antennas, off the beaten track. I have to S&P a lot to survive. I can make decent rate when Runners ID. I can't when they don't. And when they don't ID, I tune past them. That's how I make rate. The key to making rate S&P is to NOT wait for someone who doesn't ID, and/or when you lose a jump ball.

73, Jim K9YC