[CQ-Contest] Fewer than 3% of contesters self-spotted in ARRL DX CW 2024

To: CQ-Contest Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Fewer than 3% of contesters self-spotted in ARRL DX CW 2024
From: Tim Shoppa <tshoppa@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 11:02:17 -0500
I gathered manual (non-reversebeacon) spots from 9 Telnet cluster nodes
around the world over the 48-hour ARRL DX CW 2024 contest, deduped them,
and counted self-spots to see how widely self-spotting has been adopted, 14
months after the ARRL began allowing self-spotting by all entrants in ARRL
contests.

(Note that almost all other major HF contest sponsors do not allow
self-spotting and strictly forbid it!)

I also included as self-spots, the case where the spotting station(s) used
a different call than the spotted call. This was not at all rare; many
contesters used a special call for the contest but were, for example,
logged into the cluster with their regular call. Other DXpedition teams
seem to have specifically logged in to clusters and spotted using multiple
members home calls - a wise choice for when the target audience may have
excessively strict geographic filters on what spots they receive.

Only 134 stations self-spotted in this contest, if I ignore stations that
self-spotted themselves less than 10 times. There will be more than 5000
logs submitted for ARRL DX CW this year, so this is fewer than 3% of all
entrants who have adopted self-spotting. I'm honestly surprised the uptake
has been so low. In fact, the number of posts to cq-contest on the subject
of self-spotting in the past 14 months far exceeds the number of
self-spotters.

Top 10 self-spotters, and the calls they self-spotted under, are listed
below. The self-spot counts below are after some aggressive deduping - for
example if a station posted themselves on multiple frequencies in the same
minute I only counted it as a single self-spot. You can find a complete
list of all 134 stations, and the raw telnet cluster data, at
https://radiosport.world/2024arrlcw.html

The Top 10:

#self-
spots   call    spotted using calls