[CQ-Contest] Online scoreboard usage stats (was Re: I watch Contestonlin

To: CQ-Contest Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Online scoreboard usage stats (was Re: I watch Contestonlinescore but I don't post my own score)
From: Tim Shoppa <tshoppa@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 23:24:59 -0500
Some stats:

CQWWCW 2023 had 8058 logs submitted to the contest sponsor.

1122 of those contesters, or 14% of them, submitted their score to
3830scores.com.

893 of those contesters, or 11% of them, listed their score on
contestonlinescore.com, almost all of them in real-time.

Almost all contestonlinescore users were also 3830 users, not surprisingly.
contest.run stats are very very similar to contestonlinescore.com because
most users post to both simultaneously.

For many "regular" weekly events (e.g. CWT, NS FT4), 3830 usage is nearly
100%, but online scoreboard usage is still not much more than 20%.

It is important to not discount the 80%+ of worldwide contesters who did
not use 3830 or online scoreboard. They are still very much real contesters
and I'm sure lots of them read 3830 or watch the scoreboard while not
posting to them.

Online score reporting is quickly growing and just in the past couple years
I watched the dominos fall as first K3LR then immediately after the other
big guns started using it. Everyone posting to the scoreboard knows the
world (including those who are serious about contesting but not posting)
can see it and they are all OK with it. The scoreboard certainly drives up
"water cooler" talk steering more hams towards contesting.

Tim N3QE