[CQ-Contest] Contests, on the air or internet?

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Contests, on the air or internet?
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 09:56:17 -0400
I seem to be seeing (and experiencing) more than the usual number of
messages on various contesting logging software forums lately about folks
wanting instant lookups (in real time) from qrz.com (or wherever) or their
own homegrown programs as they punch a callsign into their logging program
in a contest.

I feel this is becoming quite popular in EU.  I get "Hi Michael"(I never use
Michael) from time to time in the bigger DX contests from people that I have
no idea who they are. (I don't mind this from people I know) so I
rationalize they are consulting on online database of some kind.

Shouldn't the contest take place on the air?  If I give you a "Hi Hank, Lee,
Bob, Steve" in a contest, you can rest assured, it came from between my 2
ears.

Thoughts?

Mike VE9AA

p.s.-in SSB contests, more than once I have got a "wow, that's a big antenna
on your car" in response to a "59 5" in CQWW SSB.