Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL SS CW HMO records 1996-2022

To: CQ-Contest Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>, Art Boyars <artboyars@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL SS CW HMO records 1996-2022
From: jimk8mr--- via CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2023 13:00:52 +0000 (UTC)
 If I did indeed invent it, I don't charge royalties for others to do it   :-)

The HMO name is not mine. I call it SOMS - Single Operator, Multi-Station.  To
me the highly motivated operators are the folks who hang in there for 24 hours
scaping up the last QSOs from the bottom of the barrel.

SOMS/HMO is a concept that ought to be expanded to allow it from a single
location, by the ARRL easing up or dropping the one transmitter - one callsign
rule. CQ does not have such a rule for their contests, and I have done many of
their contests using two different calls from my own QTH. Most recently in WPX
CW I swapped back and forth between NC8C and NO8DX. I don't think anyone was
upset to get the extra QSOs or multiplier.

I believe the intent of the rule was to prevent operations like one we dreamed
up but never implemented back in the college days at W8EDU.  We thought of
taking the "novice station" to one of the dorms to walk the hams in the club
through to give W8EDU extra QSOs.

Some limits of second callsign use would be in order. In particular, some
minimum time off (a couple of hours?) before returning to a previously used
callsign. But as we get better at making QSOs while all too many of us are
dropping from the scene, having more calls available to work would be a very
good thing.

73  -  Jim   K8MR

    On Sunday, October 1, 2023 at 10:53:14 PM EDT, Art Boyars