Re: [CQ-Contest] 2:21 PM Re: ARRL DX CW Results - Did Anyone Else Notice

To: Cq Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 2:21 PM Re: ARRL DX CW Results - Did Anyone Else Notice?
From: r-emails@n5ot.com
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 20:02:19 -0500
Please cite the CEPT rule that you are referring to when you say "his operation was not in compliance with CEPT." ?

This is a fair question.

The ARRL states here http://www.arrl.org/cept :

"A U.S. citizen holding ... [an] ... amateur radio service operator license grant by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is authorized to utilize temporarily an amateur station in a ... (CEPT) country ...."

Further:

"While operating an amateur station in a CEPT country, the person must have in his or her possession ... proof of U.S. citizenship ...."

To me this says you can't use your FCC callsign under the United States CEPT agreement if you are not a US citizen. Your comment that the CEPT rules don't say anything one way or the other about US citizenship makes me want to put it another way: CEPT notwithstanding (except that it is specifically FCC's position with regard specifically to using FCC callsigns under CEPT) it appears that FCC licensee KO1A may have violated FCC rules if KO1A is not a US citizen, yet claimed to operate under CEPT, yet used his FCC callsign.

Maybe it's more of an FCC question than a CEPT question.

73 - Mark N5OT