[CQ-Contest] Contest SSB Frequencies

To: CQ-Contest Reflector <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Contest SSB Frequencies
From: Barry Jacobson <bdj@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2023 10:50:50 -0400
Hi, due to poor hearing, I am not on SSB that much, but mainly CW. However,
some improvements with my hearing device have made me more willing to try
SSB. I am wondering if people always use integral number of KHz. In CW, I
never paid attention to exact freq, just found empty freq in band and
called CQ. But recently was calling CQ for a ragchew in SSB, and the fellow
said I am on a fractional freq and wanted to know exactly what it was so he
could tune it better. Said was unusual. Is that always the practice in SSB
and in SSB contests to use whole numbers? I imagine the bands get crowded
and not always so easy to find a whole number freq. Please correct me if
that is standard practice in CW and RTTY, as well, something I never knew
about.

73,

Barry WA2VIU

--