Re: [CQ-Contest] WRTC 2022 Stations - Why the silence?

To: Pete Smith N4ZR <pete.n4zr@gmail.com>, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] WRTC 2022 Stations - Why the silence?
From: Ed W0YK <ed@w0yk.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2023 08:52:05 -0700
There was disastrous flooding southeast of Bologna where many sites were
located just weeks before the event.  Infrastructure was disabled and the OC
couldn't even communicate with some sites to assess status.Accordingly, the OC
set about on a crash program to secure replacement sites north of Bologna at
the very last minute.  A few sites were unfortunately compromised compared to
most.  There's nothing to be gained at this point by criticizing.  Everyone
understands the goal of making sites as equitable as possible and the OC made
the most of an extremely challenging situation. 73,Ed W0YK
-------- Original message --------From: Pete Smith N4ZR <pete.n4zr@gmail.com>
Date: 7/24/23  08:35  (GMT-08:00) To: cq-contest@contesting.com Subject: Re:
[CQ-Contest] WRTC 2022 Stations - Why the silence? It's worth remembering that
the organizers had to redo the location list on fairly short notice due to
fairly disastrous unexpected upset (weather I think).  Considering that, I'd
say they did pretty well.73, Pete N4ZROn 7/24/2023 9:08 AM, Richard F DiDonna
NN3W wrote:> In his interview Randy mentioned that really nobody had it
perfect.> Probably correct.  Plenty of us have given interviews and
presentations to> clubs and groups - the narrative on location has been pretty
consistent> (although my fellow PVRC club member team seem to have gotten a
pretty> cherry spot)....>> 73 Rich NN3W>> On Mon, Jul 24, 2023 at 8:45 AM
Edward Sawyer <> EdwardS@advanced-conversion.com> wrote:>>> I saw an interview
that K5ZD did on not only his WRTC experience this>> month but also describing
the variances of stations and problems that>> occurred.  I have to say that I
am surprised by the silence on this forum>> about competitors' experiences
after listening to Randy's interview.  Is>> there a reason for the silence?>>>>
It sounds like some competitors, like Randy, had an airconditioned B and B>>
and were fortunate to have no significant line noise.  Others were>>
essentially in hot barns.  Others had varying amounts of line noise that>>
caused one group to have to move the mast - antenna assembly Saturday>> morning
after having given up on the site the day before and another was>> virtually
wiped out by line noise for a number of hours when night>> activated lights
came on.>>>> Since the last 3 WRTC were very solid in the "everyone is in the
same>> situation" implementation, I guess I am surprised that no one has
written>> about it here.>>>> Folks, we only learn from our experiences.  There
is nothing gained by>> silence.>>>> Ed  N1UR>>