Re: [CQ-Contest] 6M CW

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 6M CW
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2022 12:00:00 -0700
On 10/26/2022 9:43 AM, James George wrote:
I’ve always felt that anything that induces people to try ham radio is a positive, and longer
term they migrate to whatever interests them more. The hobby must be a “big tent” and
I say that as an OT who has more or less moved to CW exclusively. So welcome to all no matter what
your ham radio pleasure.

Yes. I've primarily been a CW op all my life, but I've found that I enjoy RTTY contesting, and SSB as well, when not be bombarded by the "please copy" lids. I use K1JT's modes extensively for weak signal work, meteor scatter, and tropo, but have yet to be motivated to contest with it beyond casual VHF. (I'm on the wrong side of the ridge for anything above 6M other than EME or MS).

For those advancing the "computer talking to computer" argument, I remind them that ham radio is about FAR more than operating, and that neither computer learned how radio, electronics, or antennas work, learned propagation, built our respective stations, including our antennas, matching networks, chokes to kill noise and prevent interaction between antennas, antenna switching systems, grounding, and bonding.

Equally important, resources that other hams have devised and contributed, like PSKReporter, which displays decodes of digital transmissions, updating every few minutes, and DXMaps for cluster spots, allow near real-time study of propagation on selected bands. And the use of the cluster network to compare the performance of our stations to those of our neighbors, or one of our antennas to another, in both cases, studying many spots from many stations and averaging MANY spots in a disciplined manor.

73, Jim K9YC