Re: [CQ-Contest] FOC QP

To: Keith Dutson <kdutson@sbcglobal.net>, CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>, Peter Voelpel <dj7ww@t-online.de>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] FOC QP
From: Hans Brakob <kzerohb@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 04:48:08 +0000
It certainly doesn’t need to be measured by a laboratory-grade instrument.  But
it should have some passing resemblance to the real world.

I’m in the camp which feels that a Radio-sport contest ought to measure/reward
Radioman copying skills as one of the elements of scoring.

Rule III of CQWW (as an example contest) requires you to send RS/RST as one of
the two pieces of the exchange.

It saddens me that this (RS/RST) part of the exchange has become an automatic
59 (or 599 in Morse) and thus diminished the skill needed to compete in CQWW.

I’ve considered sending “real” RST’s in some upcoming test, to determine if the
contest sponsor pays attention to the copying skills of their players, or just
accepts the robot 599 entry.

73, de Hans, K0HB
“Just a Boy and his Radio”™