[CQ-Contest] Getting more SSB spots

To: reflector cq-contest <CQ-Contest@Contesting.COM>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Getting more SSB spots
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <pete.n4zr@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2022 09:33:31 -0500
Some of you may have read my post about using this weekend's ARRL DX contest to try for more countries on 160.  Well, the contest on that band is effectively over, and the results are in.  I used Spot Collector to give only 160-meter spots this weekend, and since Friday night/Saturday morning I've received precisely 5, of which only one was DX .  This phenomenon, unfortunately, is precisely what leads to stupid rule changes like ARRL's "self-spotting" idea.

It's sad, too, because something more than half of contesters use N1MM Logger+, which has a convenient, zero-effort way to fix this.  On the Config menu in the Entry window, N1MM has the option to "automatically spot all new S&P QSOs".  If you check this option, you will spot every S&P QSO you make, where the station has not been spotted within the last 10 minutes on the same band and mode. Imagine what a huge difference this would make if even half of N1MM users turned it on.

73, Pete N4ZR

web server at<http://beta.reversebeacon.net>.
For spots, please use your favorite
"retail" DX cluster.