Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL to allow self-spotting in contests

To: David Gilbert <ab7echo@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL to allow self-spotting in contests
From: "rjairam@gmail.com" <rjairam@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 13:26:30 -0500
The code for WSJT-X is open source under GPLv3 and absolutely not
proprietary. Joe has written in great detail about the protocol and
the software in QEX and that article is freely available on the WSJT
website.

Nothing is being held hostage. If someone wants to adapt anything from
it, they are more than welcome to.

A lot of what makes FT8 so robust is structured into the protocol
itself - small payloads, use of LDPC and FEC (Low density parity check
and forward error correction) as well as a priori on the decoded side
where cumulative decodes are used to guess the content of partial
decodes.  Certainly, repeating CW with different variations in speed
and remembering messages from before and re-creating that is sort of
equivalent but adapting the techniques of FT8 to CW where you have
manual telegraphy probably isn't going to happen.

But if you mean that nobody wants to pick up the source code and do
stuff with it, well maybe that's true. However there have been other
software being developed such as JTDX, MSHV and even WSJT-z which has
used the source code from WSJT-X. Just not for CW because of the
aforementioned challenges in the way FT8 is fundamentally defined.

73
Ria, N2RJ