Re: [CQ-Contest] Low Power Change to ARRL Contests

To: Michael Ritz <w7vo@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Low Power Change to ARRL Contests
From: kq2m@kq2m.com
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 19:21:20 -0600
Hi Mike,

I may be remembering this incorrectly but wasn't the Low Power category maximum originally 100 watts?

73

Bob, KQ2M

On 2021-12-22 15:29, Michael Ritz wrote:
Ed,

Field Day is technically an "operating event", not a formal "contest"
for one. Contesters make it a contest, but for others it's a chance to
get together, have fun, and do some mentoring. Secondarily, sometimes
older equipment gets dragged out for Field Day that might contain
vacuum tube finals. Not everybody, especially smaller clubs, have the
latest "state-of-the-art" equipment available to them, (especially if
club owned). This allows maximum flexibility for Field Day events, so
we kept it at 150 W.

Thirdly, the new 100 watt rule for LP in ARRL contests came directly
out of the Board's Contest Advisory Committee. Neither ARRL staff, nor
the Programs and Services Committee dreamt this up themselves. If you
disagree with the new Low Power rule, please contact your CAC
representative.

73;
Mike
W7VO
Chair, ARRL Programs and Services Committee