Re: [CQ-Contest] Voice RBN

To: reflector cq-contest <CQ-Contest@Contesting.COM>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Voice RBN
From: Tony Brock-Fisher via CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2021 11:02:48 -0400
Seriously, I wonder why we need to consider the effort of decoding and deciphering speech over the air, when the solution is really so much easier:

Just make self-spotting legal. Or even mandatory.

Self-spotting already exists on CW. Call CW twice and you get spotted by RBN Skimmers. No way to avoid it.

The net effect would be the same if we just made it legal. I'm sure the N1MM folks could code it up on a weekend - ever time you QSY and call CQ, send a self-spot automatically. Regardless of mode.

The horse is already out of the barn. Might as well let the cat and the cows out too.

Spend the effort of decoding speech on something else more worthy that has no easy solution.

-Tony, K1KP