Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting and the FT8 Revolution

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting and the FT8 Revolution
From: David Gilbert <ab7echo@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2021 19:00:44 -0700

As best I can tell, the Barrett 4050 uses digital signal processing only on the receive end.  Instead, modes like FT8 and FT4 use various forward error correction techniques to pre-encode the transmitted signal.  The receive side then knows what to look for, and processes the received signal using other techniques to get the superior signal to noise ratio performance.

You need to have the processing on both ends of the path in order to maximize the benefits, but that could be done mostly transparently to the user if done properly.

73,
Dave   AB7E