Re: [CQ-Contest] PSE COPY

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] PSE COPY
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2021 12:57:26 -0800
On 2/14/2021 8:32 PM, Randy Thompson wrote:
I want to know why RTTY ops always send my call when they are calling me.  So
many times I would hear my call print in the clear and then there was QRM from
other callers when they were sending their call.

Yes, that has always bothered me too. In his talks to beginning contesters at west coast events, K6XX says, "I know my call, give me YOURS."

I spent the whole weekend just sending DE AK1W AK1W when I called people.
Seemed to work just fine.

Yep. My macros have been programmed that way from the beginning, and for all contesting modes.

Very entertaining RTTY contest this weekend.  The quality of RTTY operating
just keeps getting better and better.  Activity too!

Yes. But one very bad habit we need to nip in the bud is those who make their initial call with their complete exchange, covering up other callers. I first encountered it perhaps a year or so ago. I refuse to work them, and have a macro for "only send your call." We need to track down the source of the software/sample macro files that are programmed to do this.

73, Jim K9YC (was KU6W this weekend)