Re: [CQ-Contest] Prosign for Please Copy

To: "k9yc@arrl.net" <k9yc@arrl.net>, "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Prosign for Please Copy
From: Hans Brakob <kzerohb@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2020 23:01:44 +0000
Even the Justices on the Supreme Court get to publish a dissenting opinion, so
here is mine.  Don’t unfriend me.

I notice a fair amount of “attitude” about the prelude “Please copy” which was
commonly heard this past weekend during Phone Sweepstakes.

That practice comes from good historical stock, and I have a fondness for it.

The Sweepstakes contest has it’s roots in the traffic handlers of the American
Radio Relay League (remember that club).  It was designed for traffic handlers
to test their skill at actually exchanging some information (not just running
the “FiE NIGH FOE” tape loop).

As you might expect (given the traffic handler roots)  the contest exchange
resembles the heading of a standard message being sent for relay.

So phone message handlers preambled their traffic with “Please copy my message
#1, Precedence Alpha, from K0HB, Check 17 (groups), Origin Minnesota”

So there you have “the rest of the story”.

Copy?

73, de Hans, K0HB

PS:  As an unrelated “aside”, in my Navy days voice communications were almost
exclusively used for real-time tactical and maneuvering communications, as in
“On my mark right corpen speed 25 <pause> MARK”.  On the other hand, if you
wanted to send a piece of formal record traffic by voice, you prefaced your
transmission with “COPY”, which meant “write this down”.

73, de Hans, KØHB
“Just a Boy and his Radio”™