Re: [CQ-Contest] Rule Changes for the CQ WW WPX SSB and CW Contests in 2

To: Randy Thompson <k5zd@outlook.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Rule Changes for the CQ WW WPX SSB and CW Contests in 2021
From: Richard F DiDonna NN3W <richnn3w@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2020 22:07:06 -0500
CQWPX is a very different animal than other contests.  When 1 out every 3
QSOs is a multiplier, the incentive to go packet hunting is very much
diminished.  This is a 100% run fest - the multipliers will come to you.
Especially when you get 6 points for intercontinental QSOs on the low
bands....

The only major thing that I can see happening is to alert hams as to when
people are switching bands (going from 20 to 40 or going from 20 to 15 and
10).  Beyond that, packet is not as big of a deal in this particular
contest.

Now I will disagree just a little with Randy's assessment regarding the
viability of assisted versus unassisted operations in the past 5 years.
WPX has been a big points earner for WRTC qualifications and you have seen
a lot of stations find the extra incentive to operate unassisted in WPX in
order to maximize qualification points.

Now if people start thinking about combining assisted and unassisted in
CQWW DX, there may very well be pitchforks and torches carried around.
There, assistance in finding multipliers makes a huge difference in scoring.

73 Rich NN3W