Re: [CQ-Contest] Mixed Digital Modes in HF Contests

To: "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Mixed Digital Modes in HF Contests
From: Jeff Clarke <ku8e@ku8e.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2020 19:54:49 -0500
Agree Ed.  There are many more entries in traditional CW/SSB contests sponsored by ARRL and CQ than a FT8 contest. If this mode was so great then why did so few people use it in the ARRL RTTY Roundup a couple weekends ago? If you don't believe me then check the 3830 claimed scores. If the hardcore digital guys were mostly on RTTY in one of the bigger digital contests of the year that's very telling.

BTW I'm not anti-digital. I operated some in the RU and get on FT8 regularly from home since there doesn't seem to be much other activity on the bands during non-contesting periods. I even operated some FT8 on my annual trip to Bonaire for CQWW DX CW back in November.

Jeff