Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL Public Logs

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL Public Logs
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2019 15:29:15 -0800
On 12/21/2019 12:59 PM, N4ZR wrote:
I really don't resent the ARRL monetizing LOTW,

Ummm, it costs ARRL money to implement LOTW. I'm a strong supporter of the platform, and won't send a paper card for a QSO that's not confirmed in LOTW. If I'm contesting casually, I'm much less likely to call a station that doesn't support LOTW (and nearly all DX contesting from W6 is casual)! I'm part of a team that activates rare counties (and sometimes rare grids) in state QSO parties, and our logs are always in LOTW within a week or so. Last I looked, about 55% of my QSOs since moving to W6 in 2006 are confirmed in LOTW.

Last I looked, my average cost of a paper QSL for a DX QSO was approaching $4, assuming 100% return. While OQRS has eliminated the mail theft, it hasn't reduced that cost. Note that this is NOT a complaint about supporting DXpeditions, which I routinely do for those I consider well done operations.

73, Jim K9YC