Re: [CQ-Contest] Moral outrage

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Moral outrage
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2019 11:20:56 -0800
On 1/17/2019 1:51 PM, Jeff Clarke wrote:
Anything you can't hear with your human ears isn't real radio.

This statement assumes that "real radio" is defined ONLY by the human operator as he/she sits in front of a "real radio," while ignoring the contribution of the antenna system(s), the other equipment that make up the station, and the engineering that goes into building the station.

As a member of the Northern California Contest Club, which sponsors CQP, I know that the rule limiting participation to CW and SSB is a conscious decision made to optimize participation. Most participants in state QSO parties know that a critical part of their success is the activation of rare counties by mobile and portable operations. I'm part of a group that does these activations in CQP and 7QP.

Scoring rules are another important aspect of any contest. CQP gives only QSO credit (no multipliers) for in-state QSOs, encouraging in-state participants to focus on working out of state stations. I've recently lost interest in some of the SE US state parties because the mobiles that make the contest interesting have abandoned 20M early in the day so that they can make in-state QSOs for multiplier credit. By the way -- I can work these QSO parties, which are in the range of 2,000 miles, not because I'm a great op, but because I have serious RX and TX antennas, another example of "real radio."

73, Jim K9YC