Re: [CQ-Contest] Router Recommendation?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Router Recommendation?
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2018 10:44:08 -0700
Hi Scott,

What kind of internet connection? DSL modems are notoriously poor at rejecting RF, and 160M is within the range of their data signal. Part of the problem is telco wiring around your home -- replacing it with high quality twisted pair data cable like CAT5/6 can help. But when their modem is the problem, the best solution is to call your provider and tell them to fix it. W8JI did that years ago.

Have you considered WiFi for networking? That significantly reduces RF related issues, including internet birdies on the ham bands. I started replacing wired Ethernet with WiFi when I lived in Chicago, and am doing the same here in NorCal.

As to ferrites -- it takes a LOT of turns through one or more #31 cores to make an effective choke for 160M. If you haven't already done so, study k9yc.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

73, Jim K9YC