Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW SSB 2017 Effective DQ

To: "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW SSB 2017 Effective DQ
From: Michael Adams <mda@n1en.org>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 14:09:23 +0000
If you log a station without receiving a complete call, it's probable that some
form of assistance is at work.  On more than one occasion, I've worked you
having only heard your call as "WKI", for example.  If the signal strength and
exchange information matches what I would expect...

I suppose there is a slight chance that one "read" the callsign on a radio's
spectrum display, while working elsewhere, but that feels like the grey area
where "unassisted" ends and "assisted" begins.

I suppose also that there's a chance that someone's familiarity with contester
callsigns is sufficient to achieve the same effect...but I would have thought
that if that were common, stories of that would already be part of contester
lore.

--
Michael Adams | mda@n1en.org

-----Original Message de VE3KI -----

But just how would a recording tell them whether you were assisted? Because you
jumped directly from one S&P QSO to the next without tuning through intervening
frequencies?