Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL Rule Change for Remote Ops - Always Multi-op?

To: Barry <w2up@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL Rule Change for Remote Ops - Always Multi-op?
From: Kelly Taylor <ve4xt@mymts.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2017 11:34:50 -0700
Hi Barry

I contend this rule change does not affect guest operating: in either case, a
local guest op or a remote guest op, the mere presence of the owner does not
constitute a class change to multi.

Whether you're in person or via internet, it is my contention that, aside from
the exception I will get to, if the host does not intervene, he is not an
operator. Many remote operations happen with no intervention of a local
operator.

If you're remote or local and the host has to fix something, arguably you're
now multiop.

The exception for remote is when a remote operation requires a local control
op, such as when a foreigner who does not also have a US licence is remotely
operating a US station. In that case, the control operator is an op and the
operation is now multiop.

You'll note US law allows US-licensed operators to be control ops of US
stations, even remotely.

A twist here is what this means for Gerry, W1VE, operating remotely via VY1AAA.
I don't believe this rule change affects him, as I believe his operation was
legal under Canadian law.

73, kelly, ve4xt

Sent from my iPhone