Re: [CQ-Contest] Bravo - CQ

To: cq-contest@contesting.com, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Bravo - CQ
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 19:47:56 -0700
On Thu,6/25/2015 6:15 PM, Pete Smith N4ZR wrote:
Begging your pardon, but I'm not confused, Jim. Such bonding may be required in your locality, but here, in older houses, everything back to 2-wire knob and tube is permitted. Moreover, the size of the bonding conductors often does not meet your specifications (you see, I did read the presentation).

That is true in many localities. The problem is that MotherNature does not know that, nor does it know that telco or CATV wiring is installed by workers who are members of a different union, or that those industries havelobbied for exemptions from good engineering practice. So if a home is poorly wired, or those well considered building code requirements are violated,lightning damage is more likely, and more likely to be more severe.

I acknowledge that the other topic, bonding within the station, is a different matter. I've done a lot of that to solve AC hum issues, in particular. The only point I was trying to make is that sometimes the best can be the enemy of the good,

Yes, but this is NOT an example of that principle, which I've often preached!

and if a couple of isolation transformers are an alternative to solving all of the pin one problems you point out in modern station equipment, that may make sense.

Bonding is a better and less expensive "band-aid" for the Pin One Problem than transformers, and has the added advantage of making our station safer.

73, Jim K9YC

73, Pete N4ZR
Download the new N1MM Logger+ at
<http://N1MM.hamdocs.com>. Check