Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WW SSB

To: David Siddall <hhamwv@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WW SSB
From: Mats Strandberg <sm6lrr@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2014 13:57:32 +1000
Unfortunate political decision from CQ Contest Committee.

Like UA9CDC so well expressed, this decision resembles Soviet Union policy
of prohibiting Amateur Radio Communication between former USSR and Israel.
If I am not mistaken, South Africa was also on the black list for Soviet
hans.

Let Ham Radio be a bridge than connects where politiks fail.

A Ham from Crimea operating with a Ukraine issued callsign nowadays face
the same risks of being prosecuted as myself during the period when I
fulfilled every possible criteria to operate from Russia, but did not
receive permit from Russia to operate.

When living and operating ham radio in a particular territory, one must
just realize that the government in that particular region decides under
what circumstances operation must take place. I would not risk operating
with a non valid license on the territory of Russia. The same applies to
hams in Ukraine.

No matter what we think from a political perspective, or through own
opinions, the country that has the full control of Crimea is Russia. I
strongly disagree that members of the international amateur radio community
shall be punished not to participate in the CQWW contest...

We are humans, members of international non-political and fantastic Amateur
Radio community, and should be smart enough to refrain from being used in
political games between two governments...

I will with pride work ANY station in CQWW contest due to the fact that my
Amateur Radio map is free from any stupid political games.

73 de RM2D (SM6LRR)

(My passport tells me I am Swedish citizen when I travel. My various
callsigns reflect from which area I operate - not where my political
opinion sits)

Let Amateur Radio remain a TRULY international hobby without some countries
claiming veto rights of the truth..