Re: [CQ-Contest] Can Reverse Beacon Network skimmers get overloaded?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Can Reverse Beacon Network skimmers get overloaded?
From: Hank Greeb <n8xx@arrl.org>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 09:46:03 -0400
Hi Pete:

Thanks for the very thoughtful and thorough response. At least you didn't say "Life is too short for QRP - get a REAL rig" etc, which is what several folks say when I mention QRP.

The F1 Key on my N1MM logger was set  to send
CQ CQ TEST {MYCALL} {MYCALL}

I'd generally set the speed at 24 WPM, and the skimmers who heard me would say I was sending at 22 to 23 WPM. (They always seem to report slightly lower speed than the speed for which N1MM is set). Sometimes, out of sheer exasperation, I'd hit F1 twice and it would repeat the routine back to back. And, sometimes I'd speed up to 26 WPM or higher, though 24 wpm seems more comfortable to me.

I got the above from the N1MM hamdocs page, and also from K0RC, who is one of my "Elmers" who tolerate stupid questions from a "wannabe 'mediocre' contest op" who is stupid (stubborn) enough to run <5 watts.

I suspect your analysis that folks in my skip zone might have been on, or very near, my frequency, but I never heard anyone coming back to them. I tried calling >14060 KHz where the cacophony of CQ's seemed a mild roar, as well as a "clear spot" down around 14025 (and on other bands in the similar areas within and above the din of running stations.) And, I had a "usually fairly quiet" site in a rural area with a good takeoff angle in three directions. It's efficacy was been proven in the recent Michigan QSO Party where runs of as many as 5 or more were not uncommon after a few CQ's. And, as I said, my S&P rate was similar to past years. This is the first year that I've tried "running" fairly often because I had a nice setup for the "tri-band wires" subcategory. In the past I had only a fairly low wire antenna.

Note that WQ8RP provided a unique multiplier in the past 5 or so CQ WPX contests, which is one reason I use it. Several ops tell me that a unique call can add as much a 10 dB to the effectiveness of the radiation :) If I had been using my "blah n8xx" call with a very common prefix, that might have contributed to the lack of responses.

72/73 de n8xx Hg
QRP >99.44% of the time
Operated WQ8RP during CQ WPX 2013