Re: [CQ-Contest] How many hours do SOAB entrants actually operate?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] How many hours do SOAB entrants actually operate?
From: W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2013 09:14:42 -0600
The purpose it not to force people to sit in one spot for 24 hours regardless when you start. The purpose is to encourage those that do get on to operate more than they are thus providing more contacts for everyone.

I guess this point keeps getting lost.

What exactly does operating 24 hours straight show? Why force this on anyone. If you let people pick and choose the 24 hours they want to operate they will pick the hours that they feel will provide them the most fun. If they are serious about winning they are going to have to pick day and night times to maximize their score. If they want to maximize their fun they may want to operate during the day or night or some combination.

I see the same issues in online gaming. The game devs try over and over to to FORCE the players to play a certain way when the data just does not back up what they want. Instead of understanding why players play the game differently than designed, the devs continue to change the game to FORCE people down their path. I am not talking about exploiting, cheating, etc. What happens is that the players simple stop playing.

I am curious why the 2 percenters are the ones so vocal against this. The suggestion does nothing to the way you operate and might actually increase your scores if more people will operate longer. Are the contest sponsors going to ask for our medical records too, to see if we can even operate in a contest. This sounds eerily similar to death panels for health care.............

Mike W0MU