Re: [CQ-Contest] RDXC updated FAQ - Remote operation

To: "'Mats Strandberg'" <sm6lrr@gmail.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] RDXC updated FAQ - Remote operation
From: "Paul Mackanos - K2DB" <k2db@k2db.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 11:04:12 -0500
Now, Paul's (EI5DI's) comments make sense:
I guess there is no sense in me entering a Russian DX contest,
Unless: I don't tell them I am remote. If they found out, I
would be disqualified. This would lead me to do the following:
1) Work the contest, have FUN, and not send in a log. or
2) Work the contest and send in a check log.
Either way, I enjoy my hobby, have fun and get on the air.
 Knowing that my entry is against their rules and I cannot
participate per their rules lets me make the decision.
 Knowing the rules of each contest is the key factor!
There is no sense in complaining about it. I read the rules
and make my decision, based upon what I want to do.
 I am certainly happy that the FCC rules and the major USA contest
sponsors accept remote operation.
 Way back, many years ago, I read an article in QST by Larry N8LP
about remote operation. WOW, just what I needed. That is where I
started. I contacted Larry, and he walked me thru setting up a remote
station. This was a "NEW" technology, and when people found out what
I was doing, they all said: it is unsportsmanlike, cheating, etc. Even
some big contesting guns said the same thing. Well; I checked out FCC
part 97 rules and they allowed it, I called the ARRL and asked them
about it and its legality, here is what they asked me and told me:

1) Question - Where is the remote station?
   Answer - In Northern New York, Grid Square FN24FL
2) Reply - Your location for all DXCC contacts and ARRL contests is where
the
   Transmitter, receiver and antennas are located.
3) My question - that's it, it's that easy?
4) Reply - Yes, now go get on the air and have some FUN, and work some new
ones!

I am sitting here typing this, while monitoring my remote station on
the internet, waiting for a new one to pop up in the cluster window !! :-)
Maybe sometime I will see EI5DI calling CQ on CW in a skimmer spot, call
him and have a QSO. Maybe it will be the .1% of the time that I may actually
be at the station location and not operating remote ! :-)
Have FUN guys & gals!

73 Paul K2DB