Re: [CQ-Contest] Blind Mode for N1MM Bandmap

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Blind Mode for N1MM Bandmap
From: "S56A" <s56a@bit.si>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 14:45:33 +0200
EI5DI wrote: To use a CW decoder (including Skimmer) in a CW contest reduces
CW to the status of "just another data mode".

CW IS digital mode using On_Off_Amplitude_Keying and Morse code.  Human
brain can easily decode single audio tone breaking slowly in 1:3 rhytm.
Musicians are excelent telegraphists.  Ordinary people can be trained to
high speeds.

I learnt Morse code myself in 1962 at late age 17.  I saw bugs and when I
heard about electronic keyers, I couldn't imagine oscilating dash paddle.
Electronics was easy and I graduated in 1967 without lessons on computers.
When I learnt ICL-1900 series in UK, I built a lot of memory keyers
including one in 1972 with callsigns YU1BCD/YU1PCF and serial numbers
counter up to 1999.  My first PC online logging operation was in CQ WW SSB
1984 on DEC compatible homemade PMP-11.  DSP CW research done in 1991 on IBM
AT with TI DSP but NO commercial product launched.

Ionosphere and CW are still interesting to me at 65 but now I am working
again on CW Expert robot for SO2R in Extreme category.  Programming under
Windows in C# is much more demanding than slowly turning VFO knob looking
for mults!

CW Skimmer blind mode introduced on CT1BOH initiative is typical ludistic
move trying to slow inevitable technology progress.  It took us 25 years to
acknowledge DX Cluster application which appeared "Before Google" and
survived!

73 de Mario, S56A, N1YU