Re: [CQ-Contest] QSY etiquette (NAQP)

To: "Art Boyars" <art.boyars@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] QSY etiquette (NAQP)
From: "Alfred Frugoli" <ke1fo@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 17:44:41 -0400
All of these answers sound great.  So much of this answer is dependent upon
your specific station setup and contest strategy that it's very hard to give
an answer.  Here's my HO on what to think about when making this decision.

   - What's your mult total on 15?  If you need mults on that band, a trip
   there might be in order and CQing for THEM might be a good strategy.
   - How serious about this contest and scoring well?  Do you careif your
   rate drops because you start CQing on the "wrong" band?
   - Should you even say yes?
   - Do you need THEM as a mult on 15? somewhere else?  Maybe after you nab
   them on 15, you should see if they'll go to 20 for you.
   - What's your rate like on the current band?  might you be able to do
   better on 15?  If so maybe move your S&P operation to that band if cqing
   doesn't work after working N2MM.
   - What's your mult total on the current band?  might you be more likely
   to pick up more mults on 15?  Maybe you should direct some effort towards 15
   and CQ there.
   - What's your station setup?  Can you continue to S&P on the current band
   while you work THEM on another rig/antenna?
   - Can you run on that 2nd rig/antenna? (maybe the 2nd rig is barefoot to
   a vertical)
   - Is the MUF going up or down at this point in the day?
   - Do you need other mults on 15 in the general vicinity of the guy who
   asked you to move?  If you can work them, maybe you can work others (i.e. if
   you need RI on 15, and you can work CT it might be worth looking more
   seriously at S&P or running on 15)
   - Are you in the assisted category - if so check the spots to see what
   activity is like on 15.

Two things to remember.

   1. N2MM has found a clear frequency on 15 where he can send folks.  If
   you start CQing you put the end to that.  But, it's not really "his"
   frequency anyhow.
   2. N2MM has found you a clear frequency on 15M.  if you're thinking of
   moving there anyhow, your work is done for you!

How I decide to contact the guy who asks me to move depends greatly on these
factors above and many others as well.

Good luck.

73 de Al, KE1FO

-----