Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmmer vs. Humans at KCDXC

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmmer vs. Humans at KCDXC
From: "Marijan Miletic" <s56a@bit.si>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 23:47:06 +0200
K1DG wrote:
2. Skimmer was not really designed for the case of decoding two
simultaneous close-spaced signals in a narrow audio band (the KCDXC
signals are all between about 300 and 800 Hz).

There are two physical limitations with Morse code pile-ups: close spaced
signals and dot timing constraint.

40 wpm dot lasts only 30 msec and several samples are required for reliable
decoding.

3 kHz audio must be sampled above 6 kHz so we get only 60 samples in 10 msec
with 50 Hz resolution.

Our brain and ears have much better audio selectivity but we can process
only few signals at once.

Computer can do tirelessly SO6R for 48 hours with SCP and other internet
callsign databases.

I hope whole #10 2002 KCDXC quartet with 45 calls including K1AR understands
me now?

73 de Mario, S56A, N1YU

P.S.  Also beware that Skimmer is 4 times better than G3RZP at 9 :-)