Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote Contesting

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote Contesting
From: Michael Keane K1MK <k1mk@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 13:47:52 -0400
At 08:05 AM 3/30/2007, Paul J. Piercey wrote:
>So Jeff K1ZM and Ken K6LA will be happy if everyone decides to line the
>coastline of PEI with remote stations as they'd now have some competition?

Probably about as happy as the guys who live there were when Jeff and
Ken bought their places and moved into the neighborhood.

>How long do you think latency is going to be a problem? I'd say only a
>matter of a year or so.

Depends on people's expectation for latency. Demand for VoIP QoS
should tend to drive latency down but it isn't happening quickly.

There is a limit here and we'll never see roundtrip latency much
below 50 ms on a transcontinental link (and longer on
intercontinental links) as the coast-to-coast light travel time by
itself is ~45 ms roundtrip.

Most likely, people will eventually learn to live with the latency
issues. QSK CW is just going to be tough over a long distance link.

73,
Mike K1MK

Michael Keane K1MK
k1mk@alum.mit.edu