[CQ-Contest] Assisted

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Assisted
From: k3bu@optonline.net
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 15:16:07 +0000 (GMT)

I think the discussion about "Assisted" category and assistance in the contests
is getting off the track.

I understand that "assisted" or assisting operator  refers to activities and
means of gathering information about stations - call, frequency during the
contest and passing it on to the operator. Which means SOMEONE ELSE is tuning
the bands and providing the information about other contesters (points,
multipliers) to THIS operator. Kind of equivalent of having another operator(s)
next to me, tuning the bands, looking for points and "serving" them on the
platter to me. It is all about finding the points and telling me regardless how
(packet, Internet, telephone, whatever) who and where I can quickly locate them.

The other "assistance" like naked cook fixing the beam, or dressed XYL bringing
the meal is OK.
Using the Internet to gather the propagation, weather info or anything not
related to soliciting information about the stations or making QSOs is OK. More
power to you if you can have a team of professionals standing by and fix your
antenna, radio or provide massage.

What is more detrimental in CQ WW - is the scoring system - ZERO points for
your own country. Just check the pathetic ratios of QSO/points between US and
Eu stations on low bands and overall scores among the world top scorers.

73 Yuri, K3BU