[CQ-Contest] band plans - the final word?

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] band plans - the final word?
From: "Kelly Taylor" <ve4xt@mts.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 21:24:15 -0600
>From the ARRL web site, General Practices, Interpretations and Suggestions:
>http://www.arrl.org/contests/hf-faq.html#during

c) Band plans

Question 1: I heard W1AW working Europe on 40 phone, listening on 7010 kHz.
Isn't that in violation of the Region I band plan?

Question 2: The ARRL Web site shows 7.040 MHz as the international RTTY calling
frequency. Do I have to avoid it?

Question 3: Rules for an ARRL contest suggest frequencies from 14225 to 14275.
Can I answer stations calling on 14290?

Band plans are just that - plans. They are designed for normal circumstances
when band loading is much lighter than during a contest. During major contests,
the bands will be very crowded, resulting in conditions that the band plan is
not intended to address. Avoid willful interference and be as courteous as
possible to non-contest QSOs within the limits of the contest rules and
licensing regulations.

Calling frequencies are also intended to allow stations to find their peers
under customary circumstances. During a contest, be aware of where the calling
frequencies are, but if no contacts are going on there, you have every right to
try and make contest QSOs.