Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Rig

To: CQ-Contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Rig
From: Gary McClellan <k7zd@k7zd.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 17:34:32 -0700
I have a FT1000D, 756P3, 746P and have had the FT1000MP, etc.
All good rigs..

One thing I'd like to mention is that I have been to
contesters/dx types shacks and always find they have ALL the preamps
on and the RF gain at max!  Even on 80/40M :--)

I find that I have had excellent success (with the proper filtering)
with all my radios by using the minimal pre-amplification and keeping
the RF gain just at where the desired signal is copiable.  Today's
radios are all plenty sensitive.. tho the preamps are great on 12/10/6M

Just my .02

73, Gary K7ZD