RE: [CQ-Contest] Re: Antennae Advice - Tribanders

To: <K3BU@aol.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [CQ-Contest] Re: Antennae Advice - Tribanders
From: "Joe Subich, K4IK" <k4ik@subich.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 16:06:10 -0500

> and feed it on the side for vertical polarization and you
> would be creaming tribanders at 3x height.

Fed on the side for vertical polarization, the quad (or any
vertically polarized antenna) loses the "ground gain."

On 20 meters over perfect ground:

A horizontal dipole at 35' shows 7.33 dBi at a 27 degree
     takeoff angle

A vertical dipole with it's center at 35' shows 0.96 dBi
     at a 13 degree takeoff angle

At no vertical angle does the vertical dipole outperform the
horizontal dipole at 1/2 wave above ground.  The Quad may be
a fine antenna but I would go for a good, modern yagi (the 3
element SteppIR or one of the Force-12 C3 variants).

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK