[CQ-Contest] SS Intentional QRM

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] SS Intentional QRM
From: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 13:51:33 EST
I operated the SS last Saturday and below is an edited version of  what I
posted on the 3830 reflector with my SS Phone  score.

Everything was cool...clear as a bell frequency and well  clear of the SSTV
guys.

Started with 45 QSOs in 17 minutes, and then....."you're 20 Khz  wide"...."you
God...m contesters think you can do anything you want". After  which I was
treated to endless overmodulated recordings of K4BP calling CQ at  30 over 9.
 It
was impossible to work anyone through this guy.  I  moved several times and
did
all the things we do to work through this  crap..not acknowledging him,
"phantom
QSOs" swing the beams away etc.   You veterans know what I am talking about.
Unfortunately, the SOB was in the  primary area of skip, the Midwest and even
with the beams facing away it was  almost impossible to work anyone.

The next day the XYL got on as K4XSS  and I Elmered her through the pileups
that
came on Sunday afternoon when you  are fresh meat.  Nary a bit of intentional
QRM
on her, even though it  was the same time of day and the same freq I had been
on
the day  before.

So, just for fun, I decided to get back in the chair and  give it a go under
my
call.  The rate on CT was approaching 200 when my  friend came back and
screwed
with me.  I had the XYL get back on with  her call....no problem with the
idiot.  It seems this guy is a gentleman  and doesn't mess with YLs.

Something has to be done about this crap with  the intentional QRM.  So far, I
have talked to W4ZW, NF4A, N4GI, N4BP,  all with pretty good-sized stations
in FL and
all of them experienced the  same crap from the same guy.  Judging from the
propagation we had and my  beam headings, this pinhead is definitely up in the
midwest...W8, W9, possibly a  western W3.

This is a regular occurance to us in FL and has happened in FL QSO party,
WPX, SS, NA QSO party.....almost always on 20 SSB and usually with a midwest
beam heading.  The op when he speaks, sounds like an older guy.

If  anyone has any info on the guy, or if he screwed with you in the contest
playing  either N4BP or K4BP's CQs let me know the particulars, including
thoughts as to  his location.  I'm particularly interested in guys in TX, LA,
GA
and  any W-zero who had this guy mess with them.

I intend to fire off an email to Riley with the info I coordinate.   Whether
it does any good remains to be seen, but it is a start.

Bill K4XS