Re: [CQ-Contest] Analysis on ASSISTED advantage vs UNASSISTED

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Analysis on ASSISTED advantage vs UNASSISTED
From: Gary Sutcliffe <w9xt@qth.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 03:47:11 -0500

I had 2800 QSOs and 950 mults in WPX SSB SOAB unassisted. I was wondering how many more mults I would have worked with packet. David was kind to let me have his nice database of all the nearly 30 000 spots from that weekend.

I found that there were good spots of about 350 prefixes that I did not
work. Looking at them I could clearly say that I could have worked at 100 of
them with ease had I known their frequency and were to turn the antenna.
With SO2R you don't just find all of them even if you tune across them.

And I guess this holds true in most of the contests...

Thanks for sharing your analysis with us Tonno. I did something similar with the ARRL 10M Contest a few years ago. I will sometimes operate packet assisted in contests that have a category for it, depending on my goals and how I feel about a given contests. Using packet in the ARRL 10M puts you into the multi operator category so I never use it there.

In that particular year I was able to get a listing of all the spots from the local cluster sysop. I went through them an found that there were less than 10 multipliers that I missed that I felt I would have had a shot at had I been packet assisted. This was with a mixed mode entry where you get multiplier credit for a state/country for each mode.

I think that there are two reasons for the difference in our findings.

1. There are fewer multipliers available relative to the number of stations worked. compared to WPX. An extreme example of this would be SS. A serious effort will automatically get you close a clean sweep without the use of packet.

2. A contest like the 10M contest gives you less ground to cover compared to a multiband effort, increasing the likelihood of running into a given station that is the only one on that will give you that multiplier.

There has been a lot of discussion on why packet assisted stations do not usually do as well as unassisted stations. I think that packet can be an advantage in some contests if used properly. It is all to easy to give up a good run when some juicy spots come by, which is a mistake.

Thanks again for your interesting analysis.

Gary Sutcliffe W9XT

Unified Microsystems
w9xt@qth.com
www.qth.com/w9xt

--------------------------------------------------------------- The world's top contesters battle it out in Finland! THE OFFICIAL FILM of WRTC 2002 now on professional DVD and VHS! http://home1.pacific.net.sg/~jamesb/ ---------------------------------------------------------------