Output Spike on Icom-706

Subject: Output Spike on Icom-706
From: Swanson, Glenn, KB1GW" <gswanson@arrl.org (Swanson, Glenn, KB1GW)

     Greetings,

     According to the *QST* Review of the IC-706 (March '96, page 65), 'Rus'
Healy, NJ2L, said: "The radio will not key an amplifier relay directly. You
need an external relay or switching circuit like the one in *QST*, November
1995, p 84, 'Cure for the missing First Dot Problem...' "

               73, Glenn, KB1GW
               ARRL HQ
 ----------
>From: AA6KX
>To: cq-contest
>Subject: Output Spike on Icom-706

 ---
>In preparing for an upcoming CONTEST expedition for WPX, I recently set out
>to test my new Icom 706 with my Alpha 87A.
>
>Anyway, when I try to drive the 87A with the 706 I see some very unexpected
>behavior.  No matter how low I set the drive power on the 706, the very
first
>dit I send causes the power output lights on the Alpha to flash full scale.
> Succeeding dits which are closely spaced will give the expected power
>reading based on the amount of drive supplied.  In SSB, a similar situation
>holds.  I can pull down PTT so that all the T/R switching is complete but
>then the first bit of audio supplied causes a momentary full-scale reading
on
>the 87A's power meter.  After that momentary flash, the reading is
expectable
>in the same way as it is in CW.
>

>I first contacted Icom Customer Service about this and they had no
>explanation at all.  Their representative mentioned K1KP's article in the
Nov