interstation interference

Subject: interstation interference
From: WILLIAM_B_LUMNITZER@nslc.fmso.navy.mil (WILLIAM_B_LUMNITZER@nslc.fmso.navy.mil)
Date: Tue Apr 11 12:55:41 1995
    I've been plagued with severe interstation interference when
    running M/S that doesn't seem to be helped much by filtering. I
    have tried ICE transmit filters, W3LPL receive filters, and stubs
    but none of these have proved to be very effective.

    Someone suggested that I may have rectification problems so I
    investigated this possibility using a portable receiver tuned to
    the 2nd harmonic (20m while txg on 40m).  Extremely strong 2nd
    harmonic signals were found on an aluminum rain gutter as well as
    most of the tower guys. The guys are broken into nonresonant
    lengths but were not insulated at the ground anchors.

    I tried grounding all the guys to separate 8' ground rods but I
    didn't notice any change whatsoever in the radiated signal. Does
    anyone out there have any experience with this who can offer some
    pointers? Is the only solution to replace the guys with
    Phillystran or Fibrerod? And what about the uninsulated
    wire-rope boom struts I used on the antennas - are they likely
    sources of harmonics too? I'm getting the strange feeling that I
    may be looking at dismantling everything to fix the problem -
    egads!!  Help!

    73 Bill N6CQ