Re: [Amps] Slow start-up of Amps on CW

To: "jim@audiosystemsgroup.com" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>, Mark Bitterlich <markbitterlich@embarqmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Slow start-up of Amps on CW
From: "Jeff in Mali: via Amps" <amps@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2024 14:13:08 +0000 (UTC)
 Thanks Mark.  Glad to know it's not just my imagination. 73, Jeff
    On Wednesday, March 13, 2024 at 01:10:09 AM GMT, Mark Bitterlich via Amps
<amps@contesting.com> wrote:

 FWIW, I've seen the same on two FTdx-9000MP's. Very apparent with ANY ALC
deflection and running an amplifier. De wa3jpy Mark
-------- Original message --------From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: 3/12/24  3:30 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: amps@contesting.com Subject: Re: [Amps]
Slow start-up of Amps on CW On 3/12/2024 12:07 PM, Steve Harrison wrote:> I
would definitely consider FT-991As,Yaesu radios have long had problems with
bandwidth on both CW and SSB, producing clicks and splatter that are much wider
than rigs from Kenwood, Elecraft, and Flex. See this link, which is my analysis
of ARRL Labs data of popular rigs on CW. It was done with their blessing --
they sent me the electronic output of their
measurements.http://k9yc.com/TXNoise.pdfIn following years, I've traced SSB
signals with wildly excessive splatter to Yaesu rigs. Splatter extends 2.5 kHz
on both sides of the signal (that is, in the suppressed sideband, and on the
other side of the active sideband) only 20 dB. W4TV traced the cause to the way
Yaesu is doing signal processing in the transmit chain, and there are no user
adjustments to fix it.This can be heard any time with ragchewers in the SSB
bands, and clearly seen on good spectrum and waterfall displays that can get
narrow, like the Elecraft P3. Clean signals show up on the waterfall as
vertical bars with bandwidth of 2.5-2.8 kHz; these dirty signals show
horizontal shoots from both sides of the bar on voice peaks.73, Jim