Re: [Amps] Slow start-up of Amps on CW

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Slow start-up of Amps on CW
From: "hzp_electronics@juno.com" <hzp_electronics@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 20:44:44 GMT
Hi Jeff,
I think there are multiple reasons for the first character missing at the
beginning of a
transmission with an amplifier.

Number 1 reason:   The sender is using an automatic band selection amplifier.
One amp,
can block 26ms from the beginning of RF input to the amp.  This is "independent
of
the RF Delay setting" in the rig.  This link provides an explanation.
https://qsk2
500.myfreesites.net/la-1k-qsk
ALL Automatic Band Selection amps have this problem in CW.  Use rig control  or
manual
band selection.

Number 2 reason:  The RF delay in the rig from keying the amp until rig RF
output is less
than the amp T/R relay closing time.  If not using automatic band selection in
the amp,
the RF Delay in the rig should be at least 15ms, preferably 20ms, for the amp
T/R relay
to settle.

I am sure there are other reasons.  I did not know about the KPA-1500 amp power
ramp up?

Your hearing is not going bad!
          73
.... Bill K3HZP