Re: [Amps] Titan Band Switch Arcing

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Titan Band Switch Arcing
From: "Wayne, W0ZW" <w0zw@fastmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 10:54:32 -0600
Thank you for your comments, Doug.  Although the solder job on the switch
terminals looks good, resoldering would be a cheap and easy potential fix.

In looking at the mechanical design of the Titan Band switch assembly I
discovered that the Band switch and related fixed caps and inductors are
mounted on a separate sub-chassis directly on top of the main chassis.  By
unsoldering just a handful of wires this sub-chassis (and the entire Band
switch itself) can be completely removed from the main enclosure.  It also
requires removing the front panel and disconnecting the Band switch shaft from
the Low Pass Filter board.  This sub-chassis has a large cut-out underneath the
Band switch which allows physical access and facilitates soldering and
inspection of the switch.  I'm sure this is how Ten-Tec manufactured this
portion of the output tank circuit.  It's just too tight to perform any work on
these components otherwise.

So, I am embarking on a major disassembly of my Titan.  I see no other way to
access the switch without removing this sub-chassis.  It looks like I have a
winter project ahead of me.  In the mean time, additional comments are very
welcomed.  I still don't know why the switch is arcing.

Wayne, W0ZW