Re: [Amps] World's worst coax connectors

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] World's worst coax connectors
From: "jim.thom jim.thom@telus.net" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2023 09:52:11 -0700
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2023 18:20:40 -0400
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
To: <amps@contesting.com>

<I then must ask: if Neutrik, Switchcraft and other high-end XLR
<manufacturers have for decades provided a shell solder terminal, then for
<what purpose does it serve?   Why not eliminate it altogether and save on
<the manufacturing cost?  These same manufacturers are highly regarded by
<AES
<members, professional audio engineers, and broadcast engineers.

<Paul, W9AC

##  My guess is...if you have a pin1 problem,  you have 2 x choices, float
the shield at the RX end...OR  bond Pin 1 to Pin 4.  So on gear that has a
pin 1 problem, and typ uses an..'electronic grnd'  vs the chassis, the
shield is now bonded to both.    Making cables is not fun.  And not fun to
have to do it all.....twice.

##  I don't see an issue with bonding pin 1 to pin 4. On gear that
doesn't have a  pin 1 problem, the shield is bonded to the chassis..via pin
1.  On gear that does have a pin 1 issue..... the shield is gonna get
bonded to the chassis...but via pin4.

##  Plan B is to use fiber optic cable..and go digital.
I tried digital, with twisted pair, cat-5, coax, and also fiber optic.
They all work. Issue is / was, both channels are on the SAME, single
twisted pair , cat-5, coax, fiber.  I wanted my 2 x channels separate, so
went back to separate cables.

##  dunno how long each mic cable was in K9YC's setup, but assuming 500'
long cables, and perhaps 30 pf per foot, (between pin2 and pin3 )  that
comes out to 1500 pf (.015 uf) ..which is a bunch.

## At the telco I worked at, we had several ground references.  Chassis
grnd, signal grnd 'A',  signal grnd 'B' ,  signal grnd 'C'.  steel frame
grnds, power co grnd, positive battery grnd, and more.  All test gear was
insulated from the steel and aluminum racks...on special nylon spacers.
The grnds on the 120 vac outlets were not bonded to the steel frames....
but only back at the power panels.

Jim  VE7RF