[Amps] Phase and amplitude of 2 tube amplifiers

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Phase and amplitude of 2 tube amplifiers
From: Conrad PA5Y <g0ruz@g0ruz.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2022 12:37:10 +0000
I am going to attempt to use 2 identical monoband tube amplifiers to generate
CP but before I start I have a question. The 90 deg delay for CP comes from the
array orthogonal physical boom separation. So the amplifiers must be in phase
at the outputs.

I presume that this has been done in broadcast applications and I would like to
know, assuming everything is tuned correctly how close the phase likely to be?

I have line stretchers for the inputs, I have extremely good phase matching on
the Wilkinson splitter and 2 identical directional couplers that I have tuned
for good phase and amplitude matching. I can also measure the relative
amplitude and phase of the 2 amplifiers accurately. Small phase and amplitude
adjustments are ok but I have no idea what to expect with tube amplifiers.

This was not really planned but a 2nd amplifier became available, so I thought
why not? The tubes are becoming scarce so this way I can be a lot more gentle
on them.

Regards, Conrad PA5Y