[Amps] Alpha 87A - strange power related issue

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Alpha 87A - strange power related issue
From: Eric Dobrowansky <k2cb@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2022 20:26:27 -0400 (EDT)
It's been a long time, and I'm not sure if there is a dedicated Alpha 87A
related mail list in existence any longer, so I will go ahead and ask here.

I have an 87A that started exhibiting a strange problem.

When the amp is plugged in, the blower automatically starts, and various band
and segment LEDs illuminate, but the amp does not start up. The LEDs which
illuminate vary each time the amp is plugged in.

If I try to push the POWER OFF switch, the amp will turn off the blower and
LEDs, but as soon as I release the switch, it returns to the state where the
LEDs and blower are on.

If I push the POWER ON switch, the amp starts up normally. The amp works fine
once it completes the warm-up period.

If I then press the POWER OFF button to turn the amp off from when it is fully
running, it shuts down properly. IE - all the LEDs turn off, and the blower
stops.

However, if I leave it plugged in, out of nowhere sometime later the above
symptom repeats, and I have to pull the AC plug to get it to shut down
completely.

Any recommendations as to where to start troubleshooting?  Maybe a cap going
bad somewhere is pulling down a particular control circuit?

Eric
K2CB