Re: [Amps] B&W PT2500

To: Bob Gibson <w5rg@yahoo.com>, "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] B&W PT2500
From: gudguyham--- via Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2022 04:48:24 +0000 (UTC)
Bob, I’ve got two of these amps in my shop now.  You should be aware that the
stock open frame relay is 120vdc and most radios can’t handle this switching
voltage/current.  You’ll need a buffer of some sort.  Personally I like
installing a soft key internally.  You can use a Harbach SB220 soft key kit or
a similar one completely assembled.  I have completely assembled soft key
units.  Don’t try to key this amp without one!  Also, be aware that this amp
does not have adjustable input networks like many other amps do.  Keep in mind
that these amps were designed around being used with tube type radios with
adjustable pi-networks.  Therefore the input networks only needed to be “good”
as to present an “ok” swr to a tube exciter.  Using this amp with a solid state
radio you may find that the input swr is less than stellar.  If it’s a bit high
for a solid state radio they will fold back and your power output will be low.
Check your input swr!  If it’s poor there’s not much you can do about it except
use the radio tuner.  The input circuits are buried and inaccessible.   Way
before it’s time, this amp has a grid trip circuit which is factory set for
400ma.  Lou

Sent from the all new AOL app for iOS

On Thursday, August 25, 2022, 11:38 PM, Bob Gibson via Amps