Re: [Amps] HF2500 - 15 meter problem

To: Steve London <n2icarrl@gmail.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] HF2500 - 15 meter problem
From: gudguyham--- via Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 00:24:28 +0000 (UTC)
Steve, most of the problems with the tank circuit is from having the 40-160m L2
toroid burning up.  I’ve got an HF2500 in my shop right now with a melted down
L2 toroid.  There is a VERY NARROW group of possibilities that can be causing
your problem. You’ve done some good detective work so far and it seems you’ve
covered some good  possibilities.  You said you checked the connections to the
band switch and to the coil.  Obviously if the tap going from bandswitch to L1
is bad on either side you would be loosing the tank circuit.  But you checked
that already and I assume accurately.  So if your troubleshooting is accurate I
can only think of one last thing that could be wrong.CHECK THE PLATES ON THE
LOAD CAP!!  The arcing you heard  may have bubbled a plate or plates on the
load cap and when the load cap is in the resonant area for 15 meters the rotor
plate may be shorting to the stator plate.  Use a high power flashlight and
inspect the load and tune caps for any interference throughout the rotation of
the plates when in the 15 meter range.   I assume you checked the plate choke
already and I also assume you are using a dummy load to rule out an antenna
problem.  Lou

Sent from the all new AOL app for iOS