Re: [Amps] Failure of a pair of FU728F

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Failure of a pair of FU728F
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2019 04:55:17 -0400
As I have an Emtron manual tune amp I can only comment on the FU728F Tetrode. I would not run a single one of these tubes at 200-330W output, let alone a pair. There are at least 3 versions of the FU728F.  The earlier versions tend to have some problems and the later ones say they have a 1200W plate dissipation, they really are 1500 watts.  Other tubes have had this change on paper as well. The FU728F is a relatively  inexpensive tube for its power capabilities as "were" the Chinese 8877s Like many Tetrodes, when run much below 75% output they may exhibit a negative screen current.  The tubes should be operated in the normal screen current and tuned for a peak in screen (G2) current, for best efficiency and linearity keeping at less than the maximum ratings . IOW, the tube should be tuned for a peak in screen current, NOT for max output, or max plate current

73., Roger (K8RI)